View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blamblegam
Raid Leader

re: SoO Malkorok

http://www.icy-veins.com/wow/malkorok-detailed-strategy

Gave this a quick read this morning. Welcome to the next DPS check.

For those of you familiar with Sunwell, this looks very much like a Brutallus-type DPS check fight. We have 6 minutes to murder this guy while somehow not dying to hilarious amounts of damage and the raid being "unhealable" for large chunks of the fight. I don't expect this to be a cakewalk - count on tonight being a wipe-night while we learn a challenging fight. It looks like execution needs to be damn-near perfect to pull this off. 

Start thinking about ways that you can help the healers out by mitigating damage with your personal cooldowns - Our healers are very proficient, but based on what I'm reading, this is going to be a tough fight for them too.

I haven't watched a video yet, but I intend to before we start this evening. I highly recommend everyone e4lse attending tonight do the same.

A few things I've pulled out so far:

Phase 1

1. Tank swap - there's a stacking damage debuff. How many stacks do we switch at?

2. 5-yard spacing: there's a skill that hits a random person and everyone within 5 yards of them. There should be a rangefinder in DBM for this. We'll have to be careful to keep in range of healers as we spread out.

3. Random cone attacks: boss performs an arcing smash, just like the guy in the first tower on Galakras. The twist: you can't stand in the area where the smash was performed until it "blows up" after he does all 3 smashes. While moving out of the way of this, we need to a) not out-range healers and b) not stack up and get punk'd by the random explosion skill

4. Void zones: one person needs to stand in and soak each void zone, or it'll blow up the raid (kind of like the orbs on Norushen). Make sure you have full shields from the healers before you stand in one.

Phase 2

1. Everyone has to stack up, as the boss does a conal cleave attack that's like the AQ meteors (splits evenly among everyone in the area).

2. we can life-up in this phase, as the debuff preventing healing goes away. This is a good time to eat healthstones and help healers out as much as possible. Be prepared to take a LOT of damage.

3. Lots of magic damage coming in in this phase. Things like Zen meditation can help, but not at the expense of DPS (probably something for Kult and I to think about). If you have magic-prevention cooldowns (dampen magic, AMS, etc) save 'em for this phase.

This is just the random notes I've taken on skimming the article. Feel free to discuss/correct me if I'm assuming things incorrectly/add more details and thing to watch out for!

See you guys tonight.

Pezzy-Turalyon

Umm....who are you all of a sudden??

Seriously though;  Thanks for this!  Really cool that you are taking an active role.  Here are some of my thoughts to add.

PHASE 1:

The main mechanic seems to be the Miasma(?) shield mechanics that is applied to the raid.  I watch a video, the one linked by Kay in the Raid forums, that talked about there being 3 levels of shielding and something about that being important to the healers.  Also, he mentioned something about making sure that you can tell who has what shield buff (i.e. that you healing frames are set to show that...)  There was also some tips about pre-healing by letting the tank pull from a max distance so and waiting a bit before the DPS starts...

Arcing Smash/Breath of y'saarj is probably the next most important mechanic.  He does a random cone attack every 15 secs I think. It's clearly marked on the ground every should move out of it.  The center of each smash needs to be marked with a marker because after the 3 smash he does Breath of Y'saarj which basically fries each arcing smash location.  Basically we move to safe areas away from  the marked location.  Guess some people are going to need macros to do markers?  

Imploding energy summons void zones on the ground.  Not sure what the number will be dependent on how many people we have.  Basically it will damage the person standing in the zone but if no one is in the zone then it does raid-wide damage.  This == BAD.  Basically we need one person to stand in each zone.  It's why we need to evenly spread out.  Mostly this is up to the ranged to do since the time is short (explode after 4 sec) .  I can probably help out with the closer one since i have a lot of movement abilities. 

Last thing is Seismic slam.  Basically a random person is targeted, and get's shot up in the air.  This will hit anyone in 5 yards of the player so its why we also need to try to space out 5 yards.  DBM has a range finder for this.  

Some general things to consider about phase 1:

He always does and imploding energy in between the 3rd arcing smash and the breath of y'saarj.  So we need to not move to the safe zone too early so that we can still be spread out to pick up the implding energy.

Also, we need to try to figure out someways to orient the room the so that people can remember the approximate areas that they should be...i.e some statue or something...

Healers should probably be 5 yards off of the melee spread evenly across each 1/3 of the room??? Since they can cover more area that way than being towards the outside of the circle?

PHASE 2: After 2 mins (I think, when his bar fills) he goes into blood rage.) This happens right after the 2nd breath of y'saarj.  It lasts 20 secs.  The absorb mechanic goes awhile and normal healing starts.  

We need to stack in front of him on the tank since he does huge damage attacks that is split between everyone standing in it.  

Only time you will not be in the stack is if you have this displaced energy debuff placed on you.  This is is a strong DoT that will explode after 9 secs or when it is dispelled.  The strat here is for the people with the debuff to move out of the group so that they can be dispelled by a healer.  From the videos i watched looks like you only need to get to about the middle ring to be dispelled.  It's also important that the person be at full health before they are dispelled.  

After this phase he goes back to phase 1 and nothing different happens except he does 25% increased damage.  This happens after every blood rage phase but you cant really go beyond 2 phase 2s because his hard enrage timer is 6mins

Bloodlust at the start!

Here is the one page quick guide that Kay also posted in the strategy sub-section of the raid forums.  Thanks Kay, these are really awesome and should at least be looked at if people are strapped for time.

Last edited by Pezzy-Turalyon on Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

2 video guides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW72EzRg9E4  this is the one that Kay has posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgT9ShzP-Yo 

Pezzy-Turalyon wrote:

The Blamblegam has awoken from hibernation!

Blamblegam
Raid Leader

Oh, addendum to phase 2: don't blow up the raid. Baron Geddon's bomb is back!

Pezzy-Turalyon

Blamblegam wrote:
Pezzy-Turalyon wrote:

The Blamblegam has awoken from hibernation!

GOOD!

I edited my previous post to include phase 2

Jump to: