View previous topic :: View next topic  
|Gracïe|
GM

re: Noxxic VS Icy-Veins - The Showdown!

Everyone uses them - two resources with invaluable information on how to spec and glyph. However, the lovely downtime today has allowed me to compare the two in how they explain everything and what the differences are.

Pretty much this thread is a way to say why I (or you, if you decide to respond) prefer one over the other. Sweet baby jeebus, I have too much time on my hands.

Layout
- I gotta hand it to Noxxic for the way they layout what you should talent. Its simple, easy to read and straightforward. So, Noxxic wins for how its presented.

Icy-veins just shows you the tree and what each talent represents -

Quality of Information
- Icy-Veins wins here and by a long shot. Not only do they tell you which talents you should choose, but they tell you why you should choose them. They explain the benefits of each.

Noxxic, well I guess they sort of tell you -

Validity of Information - I'm obviously partial, but I personally have to give it to Icy-Veins. They've never lead me wrong. I don't really understand how two sources of class information supposedly written by 'experts' in their respective classes can have talents so different? For example, here's a look back to the talent tree I posted from Noxxic.

See that Power Infusion talent it suggests? ITS HORRIBLE because its actually a DPS loss. You're not given any reasoning as to why they chose it for you to spec into other than maybe the fact that it looks good on paper for a DPS increase.

Icy-Veins though?

Conclusion (at least on this first post of the thread =D)So, why is there such a difference in the suggestions on each of these sites? I can't answer that for you with factual answers but I can guess as to why they're each so different on core choices. Icy-Veins guides are written by 'experts' in their classes and usually from the top guilds in the game. I can't find any reference as to who is writing the class recommendations on Noxxic. The talents just seem good on paper and suggested because of that.

So please, if you prefer one over the other - please tell me why. All I know is that when I use Icy-Veins my DPS is awesome and I switch out talents accordingly (like it suggests, and you should be doing anyway being that a lot of them are situational).

I prefer Icy-veins because I couldn't find the information I wanted on Noxxic. I went there looking for build and rotation information on fury warriors (never played one, ever). I poked and prodded for awhile, and the layout just frustrated me. The information seemed shallow in general compared to what I'd seen regarding druids on Icy-veins. So I went back, and I'm sticking with Icy-veins for the near term.

statjake

No one should use noxxic, its just plain bad. Icy veins info is vetted by top players.

|Gracïe|
GM

I'm obviously biased as I stated in the OP but I have just seen so many use Noxxic (in guild and the community) and they seem to be happy with the information that it provides. As long as they're happy and pumping out adequate numbers for progression - awesome. However, its just not for me. 

My reason for the whole thread, besides being bored through downtime, is just a whole lot of confusion and OMGSWHY. Sure they're both guides and everyone no matter which source you use has free reign to spec however they wish.

The purpose of the thread wasn't to convert folks as I've had links posted to both sources since I added the links widget on the side of the site ages ago. I just legitimately wanted to know why to satisfy my own odd curiosities =)

Jump to: